Floating in the sky among a multitude of balloons, admiring the sunrise on the fairy chimneys, and watching the incredible rock formations and colors from above. A Cappadocia hot air balloon ride is a once in a lifetime experience, and it should absolutely be on your bucket list. Are you on board? Say yes and continue your reading to plan your perfect ride!
Disclosure: anitabeyondthesea.com is reader-supported. When you make a reservation through links on my site, I may earn an affiliate commission, at no extra cost for you. That will help me keep the blog up and running. Thank you!
Table of Contents
- How to book your Cappadocia Hot Air Balloon Ride?
- What to wear on a hot air balloon ride in Cappadocia?
- What to expect from your Cappadocia hot air balloon ride?
- Bring your sense of adventure and enjoy!
- Frequently asked questions
- One last word about Cappadocia and Turkey
How to book your Cappadocia Hot Air Balloon Ride?
There are so many different companies that fly in Cappadocia. And more than a hundred balloons fly every day during the high season! So, when it comes to choosing your flight, you’ll be spoilt for choice. But selecting the perfect fly for you is very important. For this reason, I’d recommend you book your Cappadocia hot air balloon ride as soon as you book your hotel.
Note: Normally tours on Getyourguide have the lowest rates once you enter the dates.
How to choose the right company?
I’ve written a very detailed guide that compares all the best companies and how to select the perfect one for you. For the short version continue to read the things you should look for in a company when booking your flight:
- Take-off site. Be sure it is in Goreme Valley as you will not want to fly in the middle of nowhere with just a few fields to see. I mean you are going to Cappadocia for the beautiful views and fairy chimneys, right? Of course, it will be more expensive, but nonetheless 100% worth it!
- Pilot experience. This is something you have to ask directly to the company. Contact them via email or WhatsApp and ask them if you can fly with their most experienced pilot. Pilots’ experience is important as they will be able to do more altitude changes and go low in the middle of the valleys. It’s a highlight of every flight.
- Slot. For safety reasons, Civil Aviation controls the traffic and limits the number of air balloons flying at the same time to 100. So they take off in two separate shifts. With that in mind, if you want an empty sky you should fly with the first shift. While the second is slightly after. Both slots are great. But if you have a preference ask your company.
Still not decided? Steal our choices
If you are looking for a great experience without breaking the bank go with Cappadocia Discovery Balloons. They have one of the best quality/price ratios. And almost all their pilots are experienced and speak fluent English.
Want to treat yourself to a truly unforgettable experience? The King flight formula by Royal Balloon is the perfect solution for you! Their 75 minutes ride is in an 8-place basket that allows you to have the best views! And you get a royal breakfast before the take-off.
How much will it cost?
The cost of a Cappadocia Hot Air Balloon Ride varies depending on the duration, the take-off site, and the number of passengers. For updated prices check directly on Getyourguide and Viator. Also, keep in mind that if you find a very cheap ride it is probably because they are not flying in Goreme but in Soganli or Cat Valley instead.
Whichever option you will choose, remember that the weather conditions may come in the way, preventing the balloons take off. In this situation, you will get a complete refund of your expenses.
What to wear on a hot air balloon ride in Cappadocia?
There are no doubts that on a hot air balloon ride in Cappadocia, you should WEAR WARM CLOTHES and dress in layers. It’s not a requirement but it could save you from getting sick. Even in Summer, you will be freezing, especially since you are getting out very early in the morning.
On the contrary, once the sun is up, the temperatures will change quickly. You may want to consider to bring sunglasses and sunscreen especially if you are flying on the second slot.
Passengers must also dress comfortably. I have a series of funny shoots (that I won’t share!) of me getting off the basket. And I was wearing long jeans! Anyways, a diplomatic accident was avoided, but seriously, dress comfortably. Forget the beautiful flowing dresses, and keep these for a photo shooting on the ground instead.
Pants and baskets are required anyways.
Bring your Insta 360 or GoPro on a Selfie Stick, you will want to get some souvenirs of your unforgettable Cappadocia Hot Air Balloon ride, and not all companies have photographs.
What to expect from your Cappadocia hot air balloon ride?
- Wake up call early (very early!) in the morning.
- Shuttle pickup is included if you are staying in Goreme or nearby.
- Basic breakfast or open buffet, following your formula. This may be also at the hotel you are staying depending on the company.
- Arrival at the take-off spot and fast security explanation.
- Enjoy your flight! Admire the incredible landscapes.
- Landing + champagne and celebration time. That’s also when you get your flight certification.
- Hotel drop-off between 8 and 9 AM.
Bring your sense of adventure and enjoy!
Check your camera’s battery, set your adventurous mood, and enjoy! You’re going to live one of the most exciting travel experiences. As one video is worth a million words enjoy the video from our Cappadocia Hot Air Balloon Ride experience.
Frequently asked questions
Who can’t fly on a hot air balloon in Cappadocia?
- People with reduced mobility cannot fly as the only way to get inside the baskets is by climbing.
- Pregnant women are strongly discouraged to fly even in their first stages as a bumpy landing may put the baby in danger.
- Children under 7 years old can’t fly and when booking keep in mind the basket edge is around 1,35 meters.
Can the rides be canceled?
Unfortunately yes. For safety reasons, Civil Aviation monitors and authorizes balloons to fly. Winds, rain, or snow may prevent the balloons from taking off. The companies keep their customers informed thanks to Whatsapp or emails.
What if you haven’t found a spot for flying?
Or if the weather conditions didn’t let the balloons take off during your stay? I get it, that would be very frustrating. But Cappadocia is great even on the ground level. And eventually, there is still a way to enjoy the balloons flying. If you didn’t get your spot, you can take amazing photos from the ground or even rent a flying dress.
Is a Cappadocia hot air balloon ride worth the budget?
Absolutely! And I know that it can be an investment, especially if you are flying as a family. But the best-invested money is those that can give you great memories and bucket list-worthy moments. You won’t regret investing in this experience, believe me!
How much do you tip a balloon pilot?
The ideal tipping for a Cappadocia hot air balloon ride is between 50 and 100 TL, 3-6 euros per person. After landing when the team pop champagne they will place a tipping box on the table where the glasses are.
One last word about Cappadocia and Turkey
Are you preparing for your Cappadocia trip? Check out our complete Cappadocia travel guide, and don’t miss the most important attractions and excursions. Interested in preparing a road trip? With this perfect road trip itinerary from Cappadocia to Pamukkale, you will only have to book the hotels. Interested in more Cappadocia tours? Our Cappadocia tours guide is perfect for you!
Have you liked this post? Sharing is caring!